Friday, August 17, 2012

back from yellowstone!

I am officially back from Yellowstone!!! It is sad, but I am glad to have a comfy bed! I did have a bed, but it just isn't the best. So the following is what I typed on my computer!
August 10, 2012 Well, I am here in the great wild old west!! More like north west! I am in Yellowstone and have been since Wednesday. This is to keep track of what I have done and seen this trip. Usually all my days seem to blur together, last year I had my mini lap top and it was fun to type most days what I did. So Wednesday was the drive up here. We ate at an Arctic Circle in Pocatello for lunch and arrived here at our cabins at about 3:30ish, got checked in and stuff. RB and I decided to go with one of the cheaper cabins this year, since we are short on money. I miss having the nicer cabin that was right next to RB's dads cabin, it had a bath tub and that is what I miss the most, seeing how I love taking baths, especially since it gets cold here at night. I didn't really sleep well the first night here, That is what usually happens because the beds here are just so much firmer then my bed at home. I slept a little better last night, hopefully I will sleep really good tonight. Yesterday, I took a couple of naps, since I didn't sleep well the night before, and we all packed up the car to headed over to Great Fountain. When we got there the overflow had already started so we knew we didn't have long to wait until it erupted. I love seeing geysers erupt. There is this certain spot that RB and his dad always check, and when the water starts to flow into it, they estimate that it will erupt in fourty minutes, plus or minus five minutes. It was really funny, because we were sitting by a bunch of people who hadn't ever seen this geyser erupt and were listening in on our prediction times, and they were amazed because RB predicted on the dot! But it was just luck that it went at that precise minute! I got a video of it. We then went over to another geyser called Fountain, it's like Great Fountains, younger brother or something, but I have never seen it erupt, so I can't tell ya what it is like. I think the geyser doesn't like me. I have waited on that geyser forever it seems like and it just doesn't erupt.. Last night was no different. We waited and waited, but no eruption. The sun went down and so that meant it was time to go, I wonder if I can go look and see what time it actually went off. Today, so far I slept in, ate breakfast. Dave, Wendy, Jacen, and Katie are driving up right now. I am excited for them to be here. It will be fun to have them join the rest of us. RB is off with Cindy on their hike they call "The hike to end all hikes", I will have to have RB explain exactly where they go, but I know they hit the observation point, then to biscuit basin up to mystic falls and back....I went to mystic falls last year it was actually very pretty and not to hard of a hike, maybe I will do it again this year. I loved the waterfall! Well, that is it so far. bye August 11, 2012 Today has been warmer then yesterday, it thundered and rained off and on all day. Yesterday I read outside on my hammock for a while, Dave and Wendy showed up about 6pm. It was really fun for me to see Jacen and katie. Jacen was super excited and was jumping all over the place and jibber jabbering, I am sure he was trying to tell everyone how excited he was and what he had been doing all day(he had been stuck in the car all day long). We all went and at ate the lower hamilton store, they have really really good hamburgers. We had a really funny waiter, his name is Joe and apparenlty he has been working there for the last ten seasons. He looked familiar and I think I have seen him a couple of times before, I will have to look for him next year. We talked in the cabin for a while, Jacen was very interested in my crank lantern, but soon it was time for Jacen and Katie to bed....Jacen had fallen off the bed and Katie was getting fussy. I went back to my cabin and RB worked on his computer, and I read a book. Today we all wore are matching shirts. The ones that are red and say "forget the beaches, give me geysers!" I had two people who wanted to buy them from us because they liked them so much! It was funny. This one guy stopped RB and I and told us to go show it to the this other lady :) So we did, she probably thought it was a little weird, but oh well. We were up on geyser hill and my ears kept getting to cold, it really wasn't that cold of a day, it just my ears are really sensitive.....good thing I had ear muffs in the car. I probably looked funny with ear muffs and a bandana on. We all loaded up the car and went over the Nez Perce picnic area. I had helped make the sandwiches. We ate a nice picnic lunch there. RB, Jeff, and I stuck our feet in the water. Jacen is in love with throwing objects into the water, he loved watching them make the big splashes. It was funny because the bigger the rock Jeff found, the bigger his eyes got, and the bigger his squeal got when the rock splashed into the water. I had my hammock there, and everyone enjoyed taking turns laying on it, it was fun to have there. We packed up, headed over to great fountain, but it was way to early to be there. We were to late for grand too, but oh well. I came back here to my cabin and took a nap while RB went exploring down to riverside and stuff. Now I am headed over to get me some yummy frozen yogart!! August 12, 2012 Woke up at about 10 am this morning, We headed over to fountain and the parking lot was really crowded and by the time we found a parking spot RB had spotted fountain start erupting. So I missed it again.....Oh well. We decided to go over to a picnic area called whisky flat and ate our picnic lunch. There is a burnt stump that everyone thinks looks like a baby bear playing with a butterfly. I still don't quite see that. The hammock was out and it was fun again. We took jumping pictures off of a log here. RB and I took off to go to the beach by fishing bridge. It is my favorite place to play in the sand here in Yellowstone. I built a castle while RB laid out on the hammock. We then drove back to our cabin and I took a nap because I was really worn out. We ate dinner at the cafeteria at the lodge August 14th 2012 I missed updating yesterday, so here is a recap of yesterday: I woke up later then I usually have been doing this trip to yellowstone, probably like eleven am. It was a really really tired day for me. I kept fighting my tiredness all day long. I got ready for the day and drove over to old faithful and watched an eruption while I was reading a book. I drove because I was trying to conserve my energy. RB and Jeff met up with me at old faithful. We at lunch (Jeff, RB and I) at geyser grill. I then took a nap. All of us headed over for an evening eruption of Great fountain. It was very pretty. We sat in RB's dads cabin at night and listened to him tell stories of when he was dating Judy. I came back to the cabin and finished what I had left of my book. I tried to fall asleep but couldn't seem to, but I kept telling RB stories about my childhood, even though he was dozing off and on. I finally took a sleeping pill and fell asleep. Today we all had breakfast over at the obsidian restaurant in Snow Lodge. We all ordered the breakfast buffet and it was really yummy. Eating the french toast theer was bringing back memories of the cruise we all took in Hawaii, and the banana Carmel syrup I would have every morning on my french toast, YUM! We were all stuffed and we came back to the cabins, I was exhausted, since I didn't get to sleep until about 2:40am and woke up at 8:40am to go get breakfast, I decided to go back to sleep. Everyone else packed up and headed up to geyser hill to see Grand geyser. RB and Jeff missed it though because they were waiting on another geyser, but soon after Grand geyser went off, Beehives indicator started and so they were all able to catch Beehive geyser. Jacen has now learned to say Beehive:) That all happened while I was attempting to take a nap. There were people working outside my cabin on the gravel roads that lead to the cabins. The machines they were using were making so much noise! It was also vibrating the cabin and it made for a really unrestfull nap. I decided to get up about 1pm and sent a text to see if anyone wanted to come with me to get frozen yogurt. Wendy and her little family came along with Cindy. It was fun, Cindy paid for mine for a birthday present. It was super nice of her. I had raspberry yogurt today. I drove over to the visitors center and looked at some of the stuff over there, I mostly read about yellowstone lake and the hot pockets that make it so certain parts of the lake doesn't freeze over in the winter. RB and Jeff met me there and convinced me to drive with them over to Great Fountain. We got there and it had definitely looked like it had already gone off. We drove back to the cabins, ate some dinner. By this point I was still exhausted....blah, so I decided to stay in the cabin while everyone went out to see one more grand eruption. We all head back home tomorrow.





No comments:

Post a Comment